Subjecting your head and neck muscles to prolonged strain can cause them to stiffen, leading to a tension headache. Maintaning good posture and avoiding repetitive motions can help avoid such problems. The following suggestions may also reduce muscle tension:
- Avoid excessive gum-chewing that can tighten jaw muscles.
- Avoiding cupping the telephone between your shoulder and ear. If you use the telephone often, you may want to invest in a headset.
- Try not to clench your jaw or grind your teeth.
- Don’t rest your chin on your chest while reading.
- Keep your computer monitor at eye level.